Strength to Stand Against the Winds – Doctrinal Series Part 2 Handout
How to Study the Bible to Find Ultimate Truth
“…Be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine...”
There is only one Source of Ultimate Truth – YAH. He has put ultimate Truth in His Word.
The Word Says: “Yahshua & the Bible are Truth”
“Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is Truth.” John 17:17
But we Warned that Truth Would be Elusive – Especially in the Last Days. This is Because There Would be a Famine of the Word
· Amos 8:11 “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the Words of the LORD.”
Blowing Wind is a Scriptural Metaphor of False Doctrine
· Ephesians 4:14 “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive.”
Spiritual Maturity Involves Knowing and Understand True Doctrine
· Isaiah 28:9 “Whom shall He teach knowledge? And whom shall He make to understand doctrine? Them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.”
Knowing True Doctrine Effects Salvation
· 1 Timothy 4:16 “Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.”
· 2 John 1:9-11 “Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.”
We are Given Warnings Against the Doctrines of Men
· Matthew 15:7-9 “Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.”
Satanic Doctrine Is Also Foretold to Come In the Last Days
· 1 Timothy 4:1 “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.”
Rather Than Being Carried About by Doctrinal Winds, We are to Be Established in Grace, Rooted and Grounded in the Truth of the Word
· Hebrews 13:9 “Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace...”
True Doctrine is Found Throughout the Whole Bible
2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
There is Only One Way to Detect False Doctrine vs. Truth
· 2 Timothy 2:15-16 “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.”
Why Is Ultimate Truth Elusive? Christians Do Not Study the Bible As They Should For the Following Reasons:
· They Exalt Tradition over Scripture
· They Fail to study the Scriptures for themselves
· They Seek Human Authorities to Interpret the Bible for Them
· They Use Ineffective Study Tools
· They Read only far enough in the Bible to support Their own Biases
· They Studying Improperly
YOU Are Called to Study!
· Acts 17:10-11 “And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind, and searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so.”
True Doctrine is Part of the Latter Rain
· Deuteronomy 32:2 “My doctrine shall drop as the rain, My speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass.”
The Wrong Mindset for Study: The Human Confirmation Problem
· We Follow the Bible Alone – Not Human Leadership!
o Jeremiah 23:1 “Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture! saith the LORD.”
o Matthew 15:14 “Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.”
· Don’t worry if a teaching, which proper Bible study reveals as truth isn’t supported by the majority. How often, in history, has the majority been right? Consider Noah’s Day. What about the majority in Yahshua’s Day? NEVER has the Religious Majority been right. So the unpopularity of an idea doesn’t mean it’s wrong.
Are All Bible’s Created Equal? – No… The Bible Version You Study With Matters.
Consider the Bible Family Tree – Remember, Only ONE Branch of this Tree Was the Object of Persecution. This is the Textus Receptus…
Original Text (Hebrew)
TEXTUS RECEPTUS (Received Text)
Found in Alexandria, Egypt (a place which was noted for doctrinal heresy in the time of the Early Christian Church – some of the opponents of Stephen were from Alexandria) – this text is in “remarkable agreement” with the Latin Vulgate (Catholic)
The Waldensees and Reformers used this Bible source. They were persecuted for it. This is the Bible Source which was burned by the Papal system during the time of the Inquisition.
Jerome was commissioned by the Catholic Church to create this Bible version.
SOURCE FOR MODERN BIBLE VERSIONS
SOURCE FOR THE LUTHERAN BIBLE, GENEVA BIBLE, AND KJV
SOURCE FOR THE CATHOLIC BIBLE
To Demonstrate Why The Bible Version You Study With Effects Your Ability to Find Ultimate Truth, Consider the Problems with Yahshua’s Divinity, Character and Authority… In the Modern Bible Versions Compared with the KJV (from the Textus Receptus).
· John 8:58 – “Jesus answered, The truth is, I existed before Abraham was even born!” New Living Translation
· John 8:58 - “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am (In Hebrew, this is the Divine, 42-letter Name which means Yahshua was proclaiming Himself to be the Great I AM).” KJV
· 1 Timothy 3:16 – “By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness: He who was revealed in the flesh, Was vindicated in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Proclaimed among the nations, Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory.” New American Standard
· 1 Timothy 3:16 – “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” KJV
Yahshua is called "Master" forty-six times in the New Testament.
The NIV uses the term "teacher" instead of "Master” for Yahshua.
The word "Lucifer" was removed from Isaiah 14:12 and Satan was actually called, "O morning star," the same title given to Yahshua in the Book of Revelation.
· Isaiah 14:12 (NIV) “How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!” (the Morning Star is Yahshua, according to Revelation 22:16:)
· Revelation 22:16 “I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.”
· Isaiah 14:12 (KJV) “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”
Additionally The NIV Has Removed 16 Whole Texts From the Bible! They include Key Teachings for Effective Spiritual Warfare, the Power in the Blood, the Nature of Christ, and other Key Concepts:
· Matthew 17:21 - "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."
· Matthew 18:11 - "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."
· Matthew 23:14 - "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."
· Mark 7:16 - "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."
· Mark 9:44 - "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
· Mark 9:46 - "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
· Mark 11:26 - "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."
· Mark 15:28 - "And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And He was numbered with the transgressors."
· Luke 17:36 - "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."
· Luke 23:17 - "(For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)"
· John 5:4 - "For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."
· Acts 8:37 - "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
· Acts 15:34 - "Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."
· Acts 24:7 - "But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,"
· Acts 28:29 - "And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."
· Romans 16:24 - "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
Messing With YHWH’s Word - Is Not a Light Thing
· Revelation 22:18-19 “If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”
· Proverbs 30:5-6 “Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him. Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
Select Good Study Aids
· Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance
o Dictionary order listings by word, as they appear in the KJV.
o Every text using that word is listed
o Number system for Hebrew / Greek dictionary search
o Abhor –
o What does “abhor” mean in Lev. 26:11?
o Look at the number at the far right – 1602
o Turn to the Hebrew section in the back
· Nave’s Topical Concordance
o Dictionary order listings – by subject
o For Example, the following is the Nave’s listing for the topic SANCTIFICATION
of Israelites sanctified
things sanctified by anointing
SCRIPTURES RELATING TO
Exodus 31:13; 33:16; Leviticus 21:1-23; Jeremiah 1:5; Ezekiel 37:28; John 17:17,19; Acts 26:17,18; Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 1:2,30; 6:11; 13:1-13; 2 Corinthians 1:21,22; Galatians 2:20; 6:14; Ephesians 1:3,4; 3:19; 4:7,12,13,15,16; 5:25-27; Colossians 2:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:3,4; 5:23; 2 Thessalonians 2:13,14; 2 Timothy 2:11,21; Hebrews 2:11; 9:14; 10:10,14; 12:10; 13:12,21; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Peter 1:2-4; 1 John 1:9; Jude 1:24; Revelation 7:14
§ See HOLINESS
o Use it online at: www.searchgodsword.org
o Use software programs like Folio Views for Windows (4.2) to find Bible and E.G. White quotes Available through E.G. White Estate, Inc.
o E-Sword is a powerful tool – downloadable for free online
Use Proper Bible Study Techniques – as Follows:
Follow Basic Bible Study Guidelines in Your Understanding:
o The original text was inspired. Translations are not inspired – so you have to look back at the original text to fully understand.
o The Old Testament is translated from Hebrew and the New Testament is translated originally from Hebrew… but due to lack of Hebrew Manuscripts (Matthew is complete in Hebrew) we use Greek or Aramaic as the “original” language.
o Translators have added words. These words appear in italics in the KJV – they are not in the original.
o Translators have added chapter and verse divisions AND punctuation.
Don’ts in Bible Study
o Come with a bias that you will not change no matter what you find.
o Work to find a text that seems to say what you want and then ignore the others which clearly don’t say what you want.
o Use extra-Biblical sources to determine a mindset about what the Bible means.
Do’s in Bible Study
o Pray before study - seeking with an honest heart to know the truth.
o Begin by studying the first and last text on your subject.
o Study every text that uses the word or idea you’re studying.
o If a text appears to conflict with the preponderance of the evidence – know that you do not yet understand and study more deeply as the Bible will never conflict with Itself.
o Use the Bible texts to determine a mindset about extra-Biblical sources.
The Bible Must Be Used to Interpret Itself
o 2 Peter 1:20-21 “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”
Study the Bible Cover to Cover – Only When EVERY Verse on a Subject Fits Into the Picture is Your Doctrinal Understanding Biblically Truth
o Isaiah 28:9-10 “Whom shall He teach knowledge? And whom shall He make to understand doctrine? Them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little.”
Is it Bad to Study Cover to Cover? No – the Curse of falling back isn’t for proper Bible study – it’s for refusing to HEAR. For those who won’t hear, even Bible study will not yield Truth.
o Isaiah 28:9-13 “Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? Them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.”
False Doctrine is the Curse To Those Who Will Not Hear
o Jeremiah 22:21-22 “I spake unto thee in thy prosperity; but thou saidst, I will not hear… Thou obeyedst not My Voice. The wind shall eat up all thy pastors… surely then shalt thou be ashamed and confounded for all thy wickedness.”
o 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 “And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.”
One Way the Bible Interprets Itself is by Searching for Meaning in the Context
When You Study the Bible, Start With a “Bone Structure”
Getting the Bone Structure: Look up the first and last texts using that word (in Hebrew)
(which mentions the word
(all the texts which mention the word you’re studying)
(which mentions the word
FLESH – BODY OF DETAILS
FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU WERE GOING TO STUDY YHWH’S FEASTS, YOU WOULD GET A BONE STRUCTURE BY LOOKING UP THE FIRST TEXT USING THE WORD “FEASTS”
o Leviticus 23:2 “Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are My feasts.”
NOW YOU LOOK UP THE ORIGINAL HEBREW WORD WHICH WAS TRANSLATED AS “FEASTS” IN THIS VERSE. IT IS – Strong’s # 4150 - H4150
o מועד mô‛êd – “an appointment, that is, a fixed time… specifically a festival… assembly, congregation, (set, solemn) feast, (appointed, due) season… synagogue, (set) time (appointed).”
USING E-SWORD, YOU CAN FIND THE FIRST TIME STRONG’S NUMBER 4150 (HEBREW WORD “MO’ED) APPEARS IN THE BIBLE… AND NOW YOU HAVE THE FIRST BONE OF THE BONE STRUCTURE. MO’ED FIRST APPEARS IN GENESIS 1:14…
o Genesis 1:14 “And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons (Strong’s #4150 – mo’ed - “feasts”), and for days, and years.”
IN THE SAME WAY YOU CAN FIND THE LAST “BONE” TEXT – BY SIMPLY TRACKING THE LAST PLACE ‘MO’ED’ APPEARED.
ONCE YOU HAVE COLLECTED THE BONE STRUCTURE, ALL THE IN-BETWEEN VERSES WILL SIMPLY FLESH OUT THE DETAILS. PUT THEM TOGETHER TO FORM A DOCTRINAL TRUTH USING PUZZLE CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES
Collect all the middle Scriptures on your subject.
Look up key words in the Scriptures.
Sort and categorize the Scriptures by sub-categories.
Assemble the Scriptures by categories.
Find the Weight of Evidence. If many verses clearly teach one thing, but one or two verses appear to conflict with this teaching, go with the many Scriptures. This is what it means to follow the weight of evidence. Then as you study the context and key words of the confusing 1-2 Scriptures you will find that they don’t conflict with the others after all…
HOW TO STUDY TEXTS THAT DON’T
SEEM TO FIT WITH THE OTHERS
1)Study the context
(all the verses around it)
ALWAYS FOLLOW THE WEIGHT OF EVIDENCE - AND BE ENCOURAGED AS YOU STUDY. YAH HAS PROMISED THAT HIS People Will Know the Truth! AND THEY WILL SHARE THIS KNOWLEDGE WITH OTHERS, PROTECTING THEM FROM THE WINDS OF FALSE DOCTRINE UNTIL THEY TOO CAN BE ROOTED IN THE WORD.
o Isaiah 32:2 “And a man shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.”